Tuesday, March 15, 2011

First Day in Papeete


My first thought of today TRAIN WRECK ... I am so tired. We checked in at 1:30 am to our hotel and felt like i had scabies so immediately jumped in the shower to get the airplane mung off of me. Tried to sleep but only got around 4 hours.
Woke up around 7:30 am my body has no idea what the hell is going on especially for me i love to sleep. I just felt beat up. But as soon as i got out of bed i opened our sliding glass door and what a site to see beautiful island of Moorea across the sea out of my window. Wow i finally made it.
Mike and i were on a waiting list for the over water bungalows but i declined it because of all of the issues in Japan with the Tsunami i did not want to wake up in the hut in the middle of the sea! So a second level ocean front room is great for me.
Started the day with a very nice breakfast in our hotel and went to Avis to rent a car for our first day adventure. I quickly figured out that i cant speak French and look like i have that stupid moron look on my face like yeah i am an American with my Iphone trying to communicate with you but thanks to my Spanish i can get by.
Off we went touring around the island on our first day , a very busy Island everyone walking around with a loaf of bread just out and about doing their thing. Mike and i were on a mission to get to Teahupoo a famous area for huge surf were all the pro surfers go to ride one of the biggest waves in the world! After lots of winding roads we arrived at Teahupoo and checked it out , it was a very quite little village and the surf was not huge today but there were some significant sizes waves out there and just watched the locals surf in the beautiful background. We walked over a wooden bridge into the small village and i spotted a huge eel having a snack then continued down the trail but decided to turn around because there were allot of loose dogs and there was one fresh one that would not leave a girl alone ahead of us and i did not want to wrestle a dog during my walk plus i heard a few ankle bitters along the way and did not want to start my trip with a dog bite.
We stopped at a beach shack and mike had sashimi and rice and of course i just ate the rice, the good thing is that i think i will be thinner when i get home the food is a little to funky for me but once i get on the ship all will be better in the culinary department for me.
Drove the entire Island and came back to our hotel, Mike took a sea bath while i was dreaming of my comfy fluffy down comforter, my eyes felt like someone was holding them open but i held on for dinner. We ate at the Lotus t our hotel and they sat us right by the waters edge and i watched fish coming by during our meal as i sneaked bread crumbs to them.
So here we are today Wednesday , now getting ready to pack and hand at our hotel until 2 pm to board the beautiful ship the Paul Gauguin.

2 comments:

  1. Holy OMG! I am so living vicariously through you right now. Just don't stop writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am go grateful that you are sharing your experience of a lifetime. You and Mike deserve this girl! Live it up! The journaling is wonderful (made me tear up) XOXO Holly & Brice

    ReplyDelete